You'll know when you know

"You'll know when you know." This is the phrase that absolutely boggles my mind every time some one says it. This is the answer that most couples, that are married or engaged to be married, have given me when I have asked them the question, "how did you know that (he or she) was the one for you?" I like to ask this question because I love to hear the ways people have fallen in love. I love the idea of someone being absolutely head over heels and being in love. The idea of love, the subject of love is one that I have always been so curious about. This curiosity even led me to write a paper back in college about the subject of love and parenting according to the Harry Potter book series by the lovely, JK Rowling. That will be a post all in it of itself if anyone wants to know more about that.

So, back to the subject of this post. The annoyance of the phrase that has titled this post today comes from my seven, almost eight years of single hood and a lot of pondering time. The question that I often ask myself after hearing this answer over and over again is, "what is I don't know when I know?" This makes it all the more confusing. But this is where it gets me excited. I often question myself in knowing when I will know. This comes from many years of self doubt. Often I find that I limit myself because of this doubt, but, that is a big but, it gets me excited still for my future because I know from my own faith, that God will make all things clear to me.

My faith is important in my life as I have witnessed how powerful God is and how amazing he is. He has stayed faithful to me all throughout this 7, 8 year journey of single hood that I know he will make this phrase make sense to me when it is time. Here is a little story that I like to share to explain this.

After getting out of a toxic and abusive relationship during my senior of high school, I was finally free. I was over looking for love in the wrong places with the wrong people. I was done. That same night I remember just talking to God. Telling him exactly what I wanted. I asked him to protect me from any temptations and unplanned relationships. I asked for a cautious heart. My promise to him was I would wait to date until the next person I would end up dating was to become my future husband. This is something that a lot of people are always confused by when I tell this story. A lot of people say that college is a place to meet people and if you don't date in college, you're never going to meet anyone. In this day and age, everything is through the internet. even dating. I noticed that a slew of my peers had found their partners through apps like Coffee Meets bagel, but I have chosen to stay on my path that I have been on with God to wait on his timing. I do admit, out of curiosity, I had downloaded the app I mentioned before, but something in me just kept hesitating to make my profile. I would click the app and just stare at the start profile button just asking myself, "what are you doing, Jane?"  I like to think that that was my own Jiminy Cricket telling me to wait on God.

SO, the point of that story was the justify my reason to being single still. I would love to date and be in a relationship but my timing has not come yet. As so, I will still be thinking how will I know when I know to the answer, you'll know when you know. I know I'll know it for myself soon. It will be at the best, most unexpected time and it will be worth it.

-Jane

Comments

Popular Posts